Low pitched roof (hip or gable)
One story with unenclosed eave overhang, exposed roof rafters
Porch: full width with roof supported by chimneys
Present owner: Alden & Elizabeth French
Early 20th century home on Colonial road, convenient to the street car, shops and schools.
Rep. Andover as a new auto suburb.
One - story Craftsman house became the most popular and fashionable smaller house in the country 1905 - 1930.
This property was once part of the old Abbot homestead at 15 Hidden Road which extended up to South Main St. to #223-225 SO. Main. A triangular lot across the street was also included in the property. In 1914 the homestead was parceled off from the rest of the estate and several house lots were created and sold separately. This lot was first sold to George B. Frost who lived at 29 Highland Road. The lot was sold to Addison R. Saunders who then sold to Frank Slater Crawford on Nov. 19, 1919. Crawford had been renting the Rose Cottage prior to moving here. The Andover Valuation 1920 Tax list, South District:Frank S. Crawford, Hidden Road; Unfinished house Hidden Road $1800, 16,771 sq. ft. land $800 = $2600 Valuation.
Frank Slater Crawford was born October 14, 1890 in South Sudbury, MA, son of George E. & Anna J. (Bellis) Crawford of Waltham, MA. Frank became a bookkeeper and accountant. He had one brother Douglas G. Crawford. In 1910 Frank S. lives with his mother Anna J. on a Poultry farm in Sudbury, From 1911-1915 they lived in Marlborough, MA where Frank worked as a bookkeeper. In 1916 he is in Lawrence, MA working for the Merrimack Paper Co. as an accountant. Frank moved to Andover in 1918 as he, mother Anna and brother Douglas are living on Elm Street.
Frank purchased the lot on Hidden Road in 1919 and the home was built in 1920. Frank married in 1926 to Persis Amanda Durling b. Feb. 25, 1897 in Haverhill, dau. of Edward J. & Bessie (Gage) Durling. In 1930 Frank's mother is living with them. Frank & Persis had three sons; Warren G. b. 1934, Robert b. 1937 and John b. 1939. Frank died on July 16, 1961. The Crawfords owned the property for 45 years then selling in 1965 to Kenneth J. & Siquid Wilson on Oct. 29, 1965.
1916 No Crawford
1918 Frank S. Crawford, bus. In Lawrence h. Elm St.
Anna boards with Mrs. Frank S.
1923 Accountant Crawford, sec. in Lawrence
1926 Accountant Crawford, sec. in Lawrence
1930 Accountant Crawford, sec. in Lawrence
1947 Frank S. Crawford & Persis D. Crawford - Accountant
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Valuation Schedules 1920
Addison R. Saunders
George E. Frost, wife Amelia A. - Aug. 15, 1914 - Certificate #431
Addison R. Saunders - Mtg deed
Frank Slater Crawford - Nov. 19, 1919 - Ctf. #844
Frank Slater Crawford estate - July 12, 1961 - Ctf. #844
Robert J. & Betty Ann Tondi - Dec. 6, 1963 - Ctf. #5508 - deed transfer
Persis D., Robert B., Warren G., Maureen C. Crawford - Dec. 6, 1963 - Ctf. #5509
Kenneth J. & Siquid Wilson - Oct. 29, 1965 - bCtf. #5777
William A. & Ellen J. Snell - Nov. 7, 1986 - Ctf. #10123
Alden III & Elizabeth French - Jan. 1, 1993 - Ctf. #11574
Jonathan K. & Anne Sims Wood - Jan. 14, 2008 - Doc. #15794
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Frank S. Crawford House|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Roof||asphalt - hip|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage|
|Map and parcel||57-37|
|Recorded by||Barbara Thibault, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission & Andover Historical Society|
|Date entered||Apr 13 1999, 1/27/2018|