This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or rented through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
After the death of William M. Wood in Feb. 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The AWCo Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or rent the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
This house however was sold directly by the American Woolen Company, William M. Wood, President to Willard A. Currier on December 10, 1923. The Tudor Revival stye home was designed by Clifford Allbright of Boston, who also designed all the homes on Kensington Street. The deeds came with restrictions as to use of home as a residence, or professional office such as doctor or dentist, and no shed, hen houses or garages could be built without the permission of the A.M.Co. Currier got permission to build a garage in May 1930 but had to match the style of the home.
Willard Currier was a banker. He held the deed in his name for 37 years then placed the property in both his and wife Gertrude H. Currier name on Nov. 21, 1960. Willard A. Currier died on March 14, 1968 and Gertrude H. Currier then sold the property after 47 years of ownership on Aug. 20, 1969 to Avedis Mellian, Sadie Mellian and Harry Mellian.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
See map plans #704 - American Woolen Co. -Sept. 1927
#879 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Co,
Ephraim Everson parcel 1 & Solomon Flagg parcel 2
William C. Donald - March 3, 1855 - b. 567 leaf 246 - parcel 1 Salem deed
William C. Donald - Jan. 15, 1861 - b. 623 leaf 128 - parcel 2 Salem deed
William C Donald estate, Gordon Donald, TR - 9.86 acres
Henry P. Binney - Apr. 24, 1919 - b. 398 p. 52 - 9.86 acres
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
Willard A. Currier - Dec. 10, 1923 - b. 496 p. 203
Willard A. Currier - May. 21, 1930 - b. 553 p. 283 - permission for garage
Willard A. & Gertrude H. Currier - Nov. 21, 1960 - b. 927 p. 417
Willard A. Currier estate, Gertrude H. Currier, heir - Mar. 14, 1968
Avedis Mellian, Sadie Mellian, & Harry Mellian - Aug. 20, 1969 - b. 1138 p.2
Sadie Mellian, & Harry Mellian -
1994 Sadie Mellian Irrevocable Trust, Harry Mellian, Tr. - Dec. 12, 1994 - b. 4182 p. 120
Christopher J. & Catherine T. O'Brien - Dec. 29, 2010 - b. 12353 p. 285
Part of the executive section of Shawsheen Village. Project of William M. Wood of the American Woolen Company.
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Williard & Gertrude Currier House|
|Construction Date||1922 - 1923|
|Architectural Style||Tudor Revival|
|Foundation||stone and brick|
|Roof||gable - slate|
|Map and parcel||52-52|
|Recorded by||Bill Driscoll, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1992, 6/18/2015|