Very ornate in details and a marriage of several design styles.
High granite porch foundations; elaborate 2-story portico - finely detailed.
Unique lions head /Sphinx limestone sculpture mounted in front porch east wall.
Roman Revival front porch portico supported by Corinthian fluted columns, and plain Greek Doric columns supporting the first story porch.
Gambrel roof, corbel brackets on eaves.
Themes: Architectural, community development.
Main/Locke Streets National Historic District. This district visually portrays residential architecture spanning over one hundred years showing the development from the earlier classical Federal style to the 20th century Classical Revival and the transition from farmhouse to suburban home. Interestingly, this elaborate building was originally built for The Sphinx, a secret society fraternity at Phillips Academy. This clubhouse, unlike the former November Club at 6 Locke Street, soon became a residence
This parcel was once part of the larger Amos Blanchard homestead property at 97 Main St. (now the home of the Andover Historical Society) The Blanchard lot extended along Main St. from Locke Street to 77 Main Street. The Edward Taylor family owned the Blanchard house and land from 1849 - 1893. Edward Taylor died on May 23, 1893 and Oliver B. Taylor, was appointed Executor of Taylor's estate June 12, 1893 - probate court. Oliver Taylor began selling off house lots north and south of the Taylor homestead.
Ovid Chapman purchased the lot from Taylor on July 21, 1897. Chapman was a real estate developer and built many homes in this neighborhood to create lodging houses for students attending Phillips Academy and the Andover Theological Seminary. This house was built by Chapman and rented to the Phillips boys Secret Society fraternity. They named it Sphinx house. The society was sort lived 1897-1900 but may have organized the the same time as Chapman was constructing the home as the Loins Head was integrated into the construction of the stonework of the front porch. The Secret Societies were abolished by Headmaster Alfred Stearns a many years later.
Chapman then sold the grand style home to Frank H. Messer and wife Dora in Aug. 1900. Aug. 3, 1900 Andover Townsman – p1. Undertaker F. H. Messer has purchased the Sphinx club house on Locke Street from Ovid Chapman and will remodel it into a dwelling for his own occupancy. He expects to move in sometime this month. Messer had purchased the business from Charles S. Parker. - Aug. 11, 1893 AT – Retires from Business – Charles S. Parker undertaker – sold to Frank H. Messer of Stoneham – In business for 17 years – bought from James Crabtree.
Sept. 15, 1893 AT - Advert. Frank H. Messer successor to Charles S. Parker – Funeral Director & Embalmer – Coffins, caskets & furnishings at the old stand on Park Street. – Residence – Beard House Elm Street. [18 Elm]. Messer lived and operated his business here for 13 years before his death in 1913. Wife Dora then sold to Agnes Lane in Aug. 1913. Clara F. Lane held the property from 1916-1941.
Anne L. Saville purchased the property in Aug. 1941 and she and her husband Carlton M. Saville lived here for five years. They sold to Dr. William V. Emmons and wife Marjorie on July 1, 1946. Dr. Emmons was an optometrist with offices elsewhere in town. The Emmons remained here until his retirement then selling to the Andover Home for Aged People in Dec. 1983. They held the property briefly selling three months later to H. William Gurry a local realtor in March 1984. Gurry held the property for 11 years befor selling to Frederic D. & Jennifer P. Mosher Jr. in June 1995. The Mosher family continues to reside here and has done extensive interior and exterior renovations during their stewardship.
Previous tenant; Anne B. Sullivan.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Phillips Academy Andover, Massachusetts, Robery A. Domingue 1990
Rev. Amos Blanchard Jr. - 1849 - by Will - land
Edward Taylor - Mar. 5, 1849 - b. 408 lf. 192-194 - land
Edward Taylor Estate - died May 23, 1893 - land
Oliver B. Taylor - Executor - June 12, 1893 -probate court - land
Ovid Chapman - Aug. 3, 1897 - b. 156 p. 595 - built house.
Frank H. & Dora Messer - Aug. 3, 1900 - b. 179 p. 269
Dora Messer by will July 7, 1914
Agnes Lane Aug. 12, 1913 - b. 333 p. 561
Clara F. Lane - Oct. 5, 1916 - b. 369 p. 27
Anne L. Saville, husband Carlton M. - Aug. 19. 1941 - b. 643 p. 283
William V. & Marjorie W. Emmons - July 1, 1946 - b. 686 p.95
Andover Home for Aged People - Dec. 7, 1983 b. 1754 p. 274
H. William Gurry - March 2, 1984 - b. 1782 p. 321
Frederic D. & Jennifer P. Mosher Jr. June 1, 1995 - b. 4268 p. 111
Mosher Realty Trust - Dec. 2, 1999 b. 5637 p. 150 - 151
Jennifer P. Mosher - Sept. 9, 2008 - b. 11306 p. 168
also see deed of Harriett Chapman b. 461 p. 113 triangle shape piece
|Historic District||Main/Locke Streets NRH District|
|Historic Name||Sphinx House|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessor's records|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Wall/Trim||clapboards & shingles|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||rear garage|
|Major Alterations||Interior renovations by Black Dog Construction Co. 2000's|
|Acreage||10,280 sq. ft. Approximate frontage 70'.|
|Map and parcel||55-120|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77 02/17/2006, 3/2014|