This home is Georgian in style, symmetrical facades but with side entrances. Early period windows in the first floor were 12 over 12. as were the basement. One window held 15 over 15. Top floor windows were 8 over 12 and the size of the windows were reduced to 6 over 6 later.
Themes - Architectural, Community Development and Industry.
Dorman's; 1830 map
In deeds the house is referenced as the "Old Tavern House" and may have been built as an Inn. Essex St. to Shawsheen Rd. then down Stevens St. was the main route to New Hampshire before Main Street was constructed in 1806. Red Spring Rd. connected to Billerica and on to Boston. We do know that this was a stage coach stop for Boston prior to the Railroads in 1838.
The house now contains eight apartment units, has a total of 15 rooms, 8 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms. The basement of the building has a long history of provision stores, markets and variety stores patronized by the residents of Abbott Village.
Abijah Chase & John Flint sold the property to Samuel K. Hutchinson, wife Susan on Dec. 23, 1833. Hutchinson also owned property next door on the open lot today. Samuel sold the property to brothers Abel & Paschal Abbott and George French Jr. on May 12, 1835. Abel and Paschal Abbott had established a cotton mill across the street in 1823 and built homes at 51 and 53 Red Spring Rd. This purchase was most likely housing for operatives in their mill. Abbott Village takes its name from these gentlemen. The business flourished for twenty years under the name of Paschal Abbott & Company. A recession in the 1840s forced the creditors to foreclose in 1843.
William Johnson Jr. & Eben Sutton, were court Assignees of the real estate and sold off the factory buildings to Smith, Dove and Co. in 1843. The Abbott's other holdings were also auctioned off. John Dove, of Smith, Dove & Co.which produced linen thread, purchased the property on Sept. 13, 1855 for $1500.
The company slowly relocated up river from Frye Village and at this date were in full production in Abbott Village. John Dove's home was the Wood estate on North Main St. This property was strictly income property for Dove and housing for operatives. The building remained in the Dove family until his death.
Alexander Dear, wife Agnes K. purchased the property on Oct. 25, 1882 for $2100 ( 2nd parcel) Alexander was born in Arbroath, Scotland on June 17, 1844, son of Alexander and Jane Dear. He immigrated in 1871 and became a Flax Dresser at Smith & Dove. He married On Dec. 3, 1874 to Agnes Kyle b. Nov. 1851 in Leith, Scotland, dau. of Alexander and Agnes Kyle. They had no issue. Alexander had left his employment and became a farmer and lived in Stinson Rd. Alexander died on Mar. 30, 1912 and Agnes K Dear held the property another five years then selling to the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co.on May 9, 1917. Smith & Dove was bought by the Ludlow Co. in 1927 and the mill operation was moved to Ludow, MA. All the tenement holdings were transferred to
Smith & Dove Tenements, Inc. for private sale on Feb. 21, 1927. The name was changed to Andover Homes, Inc. in 1928.
Robert Campbell Jr., John & Martha Jack Campbell purchased the building on July 6, 1928. They mortaged with the Andover Savings Bank. With the Great Depression in the 1930's the bank was forced to foreclose on the loan in 1936. The Joseph I. Pittman estate, E. Minnie Pittman Trustee purchased on June 1, 1937. The Pittman heirs Ada Carolyn Pittaway, Helen L. Chadwick and Josephine E. Noyes were will the property and later sold to George Dufton in 1953.
The store in the basement:
Mar. 10, 1855 AA – “New firm of Dodge & Beard – purchased C. G. NcNeil’s stock of Goods, consisting of Dry Goods, Groceries, Farming tools, Grass & Garden Seeds, Bondi Common & Fancy Crackers. James S. Dodge & Horace P. Beard.” Mr. Beard had worked for McNeil before his business failed. Dodge & Beard did a good business at this location and their partnership continued for ten years.
Aug. 5, 1865 AA – “Dissolve partnership of Dodge & Beard (July 31, 1865) New firm of H. P. Beard & Co. – Horace P. Beard, John L. Smith & Albert S. Manning” (after Beard died became Smith & Manning)
In July 1866 Horace P. Beard purchased the Swift building at 8-10 Essex St. and moved the business up the hill closer to Elm Sq.
July 21, 1871 AA – “Mr. Horace P. Beard, senior partner of H. P. Beard & Co. dies – obit – came to Andover about 20 years age –for a short time employed in the store of C. G. McNeil – in a few years McNeil gave up his business and Beard engaged in his own account.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
See Area Form A: survey: Railroad Avenue (Smith and Dove - Abbott Village)
Andover Advertiser - AA
Andover Townsman - AT
Andover Maps, 1830, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906
Andover Valuation Schedules - 1850, 1860, 1870, 1900
Abijah Chase & John Flint
Samuel K. Hutchinson, wife Susan – Dec. 23, 1833 rec. 7/18/1834 – b. 278 leaf 22 (lf. 102 =2 rods)
Abel & Paschal Abbott, George French Jr. – May 12, 1835 – b. 283 leaf 65
Paschal Abbott & Company – 1843 – bankruptcy
William Johnson Jr. & Eben Sutton, Assignees – 1843
John Dove – Sept. 13, 1855 – b. 519 leaf 147 - $1500
John Dove estate, heir George W.W. Dove
Alexander Dear, wife Agnes K. – Oct. 25, 1882 – b. 69 p. 546 - $2100 – 2nd parcel
Alexander Dear estate, Mar. 30, 1912 heir Agnes K. Dear
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. – May 9, 1917 – b. 376 p. 528
Smith & Dove Tenements, Inc. – Feb. 21, 1927 – b. 529 p. 583
Andover Homes, Inc. aka S & D. Tenements – 1928 – b. 539 p. 356
Robert Campbell Jr., John & Martha Jack Campbell – July 6, 1928 – b. 541 p. 37
Andover Saving Bank – Dec. 15, 1936 – b. 603 p. 293 possession
Joseph I. Pittman estate, E. Minnie Pittman - June 1, 1937 – b. 607 p. 582
Pittman heirs: Ada Carolyn Pittaway, Helen L. Chadwick, Josephine E. Noyes –
George F. & Virginia R. Dufton – June 25, 1953 – b. 777 p. 262
Frederick J. & Blanche C. Bourque – June 29, 1955 – b. 815 p. 449
Donald Dunning Jr. – June 4, 1965 – b. 1035 p. 111
Maurice E. & Marjorie L. Needham – Apr. 3, 1968 – b. 1103 p. 149
Maurice Needham Realty Trust – Apr. 3, 1968 – b. 1103 p. 154
H. Francis & Joyce M. Ritterhaus – Apr. 8, 1990 – b. 1151 p. 65
Ritterhaus Family Trust – Sept. 23, 2016 – b. 14807 p. 94
|Street||Red Spring Rd|
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Historic Name||Old Tavern House|
|Present Use||residence - six family|
|Original Use||multi family|
|Construction Date||early 19th century|
|Foundation||stone, granite and brick|
|Major Alterations||Aluminium siding, window replacements, second floor widow openings narrower than originals.|
|Move Details||house may have been moved to site|
|Acreage||.732 acre, 4,823 sq. ft. with 60' of frontage.|
|Map and parcel||72-12|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 6/2014|