Post WWII modern Colonial style home. bay windows, attached garage,
brick veneer on front first story facade, blends with style of homes in the neighborhood
This home was built in 1950 - 1951 on an empty lot that was part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or rented through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
After the death of William M. Wood in Feb. 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or rent the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
This lot was not developed as the location of Corbert Street originally cut diagonally across this area terminating at Poor St. The area was redesigned to accommodate the new Shawsheen School in 1923 - 1924.
This house lot was sold to by the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on May 8, 1950 to Frank & Cecelia M. Cairns. Cairns built the home and then sold to Frank R. & Dorothy M. Stahler on June 28, 1951. The Stahler family owned for four years then sold to Michael J. & Margaret D. Kannan on May 18, 1955. Michael Kannan b. 1908 was a physician. Margaret was b. in 1925, a homemaker. They had three children, Michael D., Elizabeth J. and Margaret M. Kannan. The Kannan family had a long association with the home, owning for 39 years.
The three children inherited the property and sister Margaret M. then sold her 1/3 share to her siblings Michael D. Kannan and Elizabeth J. Kannan on Oct. 9, 1990. They later sold to Michael L. Rivet & Susan J. McGilvray- Rivet on May 27, 1994.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#879 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company
Henry P. Binney - Apr. 24, 1919 - b. 398 p. 52
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
Textile Realty Company - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 338
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 27, 1934 - b. 586 p. 43 - 10th parcel p. 46
Frank & Cecelia M. Cairns - May 8, 1950 - b. 742 p. 280 - lot of land
Frank R. & Dorothy M. Stahler - June 28, 1951 - b. 752 p. 441
Michael J. & Margaret D. Kannan - May 18, 1955 - b. 813 p. 106
Kannan estate, Michael D., Margaret M. & Elizabeth J. Kannan, heirs, Probate
Michael D. Kannan & Elizabeth J. Kannan - Oct. 9, 1990 - b. 3173 p. 170
Michael L. & Susan J. [McGilvray] - Rivet - May 27, 1994 - b. 4053 p. 63
M & S McGilvray / Rivet Family Revocable Trust - July 19, 2013 - b. 13564 p. 200
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Stahler - Kannan House|
|Construction Date||1950 - 1951|
|Foundation||concrete / brick|
|Wall/Trim||brick veneer/wood/ vinyl clapboard|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||replacement windows, vinyl siding|
|Map and parcel||52-125|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1980 - 6/30/2015|