Style: Colonial Revival
This home was built for Walter Smart Donald and his wife Clara Clements. The property may have been a wedding present from his parents William C. & Agnes B. Donald. Andover Advertiser, Oct. 2, 1874 - Walter S. Donald is building a two story dwelling house in Frye Village, Contractors Cole & Hardy.
His father William Couper Donald b. Mar. 7, 1816 in West Craig, Forfarshire (Angus) Scotland, son of Alexander & Mary (Laird) Donald. William at age 15 first apprenticed to a miller in the parish of Tannadice for about six years. William then went to Farnell where he met and married on Sept. 13, 1839 in Brechin, Scotland to Agnes Bain Smart b. May 21, 1841 Scotland, dau. of William & Jane (Johnson) Smart. The Donald family immigrated to America arriving in NYC on July 26, 1844, then to Andover.
William & Agnes had nine children: Frances “Fannie” Smart b. Mar. 1, 1841, Isabella “Belle” b. 1843 both in Scotland, Mary Jane b. Oct. 5, 1844, William Alexander b. July 30, 1846, Elijah W. b. July 30, 1848, Walter Smart b. Mar. 13, 1850, Agnes H. b. 1852, Alice Downing b. Oct. 12, 1856, and Charlotte Smith b. Aug. 16, 1860 all in Andover.
William purchased the property and home in Frye Village from Ephraim Everson on May 30, 1858. The home was located 359 North Main St. next door to John Smith, President of the Smith & Dove Co. and founder of the Free Christian Church. William & Agnes daughter Fannie later married John Smith’s son Joseph Warren Smith. A second parcel was purchased from Solomon Flagg in 1861 which adjoined the house lot and included this property on Union St.
William Donald had established a lampblack and printing ink business in Andover in shortly after they arrived. Donald partnered with the Morrill brothers for a few years and after they dissolved the partnership, William opened his own company here in Frye Village. The Ink Plant was located about half way betwwen the two homes.
AA July 6, 1866 – The printing ink factory of William C. Donald in Frye Village was burned on Thursday afternoon, together with the contents
AA Sept. 7, 1866 William C. Donald has rebuilt his printing ink establishment, which was destroyed by fire a few months ago. It is now built of brick with fire proof roof and is divided into eight apartments each so distinct form the other that a fire cannot be communicated. The engine was so little injured by the late fire that the manufacturing of ink was continued without interruption. Mr. D. occupying “all out doors” for his factory. Having perfected his machinery, and completed arrangements, he is now prepared to supply all orders.
AA Dec. 5, 1873 – William C. Donald is erecting a building 30 x 40 feet with sixteen feet posts for a lamp black house in connection with his printing ink manufactory at Frye Village.
The 1870 Valuation for William Donald: House $1600, barn & shed $300, Ink factory $900, 8 acres $600, Flagg land 9 acres $540, New house $500 = $4440 Farm stock $340, Stock in Trade $1000 = #1340 Division Store #112 $800.
This property was deeded to son Walter Smart Donald on Dec. 21, 1874. Walter was born Mar. 13, 1850, graduated from Phillips Academy in 1869. He married May 13, 1874 to Clara E. Clement b. Apr. 1, 1853 Andover, MA dau. of Moses & Mary Hunt (Davidson) Dole Clement. Moses Clement was a carpenter and house builder in town. Walter's family would own the home until 1941. The Donalds were members of the Free Christian Church. Walter took over the operation of his father’s Ink company in 1892 after William retired in 1892.
Jan 27, 1892 AT pg. 4 – Business change – W. C. Donald retires, son continues with partners Harrison H. Church of Lawrence and Walter S. Donald – new firm name is W. C. Donald & Co.
Walter was a Selectman and Assessor for the town from 1905-1923. Served as Chairman for many years. He was also a Director of the Lawrence Cooperative Bank, a member of the St. Mathews lodge of Masons and the Square & Compass Club. Walter sold the Ink business in April 20, 1916 to Samuel Cabot, Inc. but retained the property. The factory lot and buildings were later sold to Henry Siegel on June 27, 1921.
AT July 1, 1921 p 4, Ink Shop Sold to Lawrence Man – Henry Siegel Pres. of the Lawrence Grocery Company.
Walter S. died Mar. 5, 1930 and Clara died eight days later on Mar. 13, 1930. Both are interred at South Parish Cemetery.
Walter & Clara had four children. William Gordon b. Nov. 9, 1875 - d. Mar. 1, 1956 (m. Jean Shand Ritchie), Walter Clements b. Apr. 24, 1877 - d. Feb 22, 1955 (m. Marion Davis), Edith Johnson b. Nov. 9, 1878 - d. Feb. 7, 1931, Douglas b. Nov. 7, 1883 - d. Jan. 26, 1965 (m. Edith Johnson). All of them lived in the home until they married. All three brothers became Wool buyers in Boston working for different firms. They all resided in Andover; William at 22 Wolcott Ave and Douglas at 8 Carisbrooke St. and Walter C. at 9 Union.
Their sister Edith Donald who lived with her parents died on Feb. 7, 1931 age 53. Edith graduated from Punchard High School in 1896. Edith was assistant librarian at Memorial Hall Library, an active member of the November Club and the Andover Garden Club. Edith had been appointed librarian of the Andover Historical Society shortly before her death. The four children inherited the property and sold their shares to brother Walter Clements Donald.
Walter Clements Donald married in 1930 to Marion Davis b. June 18, 1890. . Walter was a Wool dealer for the firm Eisemann Brothers at 196 Summer St. in Boston in 1918. Walter & Marion sold the home to Margret V. Demers on Apr. 24, 1941. After retirement they moved to Florida. Walter C. died on Feb 22, 1955 and Marion died April 19, 1966 at Delray Beach, FL. Both interred at South Parish Cemetery, Andover, MA.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
History of Donald family at AHS entitled Donald Family 1839 - 1939
Andover Advertiser, Andover Townsman
Andover Maps. 1994, 1888, 1906, 1926
Ancestry.com - Donald Family research
Solomon Flagg -
William C. Donald, wife Agnes B. - Jan. 15, 1861 - b.623 p. 128 land
William Smart Donald - Dec. 21, 1874 - b.32 p. 174
William S. Donald estate - died Mar. 5, 1930
Donald heirs; Walter C, William G., Douglas, Edith and Clara C. Donald
William G. Donald and Douglas Donald, Extrs. 1931
Walter C. Donald, wife Marion D. - Oct. 9, 1931 - b. 561 p. 78
Margret V. Demers - Apr. 24, 1941 - b. 639 p. 480
Helen Pasho - Dec. 28, 1950 - b. 745 p. 520 deed transfer
Walter V. & Margret Demers - Dec. 28, 1950 - b. 745 p. 521
John N. & Grayce O'Malley - Feb. 10, 1956 - b. 828 p. 477
Richard R. & Diane J. Krafton - May 30, 1975 - b. 1260 p. 620
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||Walter S. & Clara C. Donald House|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Hardy & Cole (builders)|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||barn, horse shed|
|Major Alterations||rear addition (s.a.)|
|Setting||Near rt. 495 access - in a commercially zoned area|
|Map and parcel||34-64A|
|Recorded by||Sean Craft, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||4 Jun 1999, 6/14/2015|