William Street was originally named Warwick Street when Shawsheen Village was laid out. The name was changed by a vote at a special Town Meeting on November 13, 1922 in memory of William M. Wood Jr., son of William M. & Ellen (Ayer) Wood, who died in an automobile accident on Aug. 15, 1922.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or rented through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
After the death of William M. Wood in Feb. 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or rent the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
The first occupants of record to lease the home in 1926 were Frederick G. & Anna M. Sherman. Frederick was a clerk for the A. W. Co. In 1928 Alden R. & Josephine B. Taylor are the occupants. Alden is a treasurer in Boston.
This house was sold to Herbert L. & Mabel A. Green on Oct. 28, 1933. Mabel A. Green died on Mar. 19, 1939. and Herbert L. Green died the following year May 4, 1940. Thomas A. Emmons, Executor of the Green estate sold to William B. & Gertrude A. Dempsey on Sept. 20, 1940. William Dempsey was an agent for B&M Railroad in Lawrence, MA.
James E. & Elizabeth C. Haynes purchased the home on Dec. 29, 1945. Then Frederick W. & Mary Elizabeth Bradley, Andover Realtors purchased the property in September 1947.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#879 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company - lot 21
Henry P. Binney - Apr. 24, 1919 - b. 398 p. 52
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
Textile Realty Company - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - parcel
Herbert L. & Mabel A. Green - Oct. 28, 1933 - b. 573 p. 6
Mabel A. Green estate, Herbert L. Green heir - Mar. 19, 1939 - probate
Herbert L. Green estate, Thomas A. Emmons, Extr. - May 4, 1940 - probate
William B. & Gertrude A. Dempsey - Sept. 20, 1940 - b. 634 p. 125
James E. & Elizabeth C. Haynes - Dec. 29, 1945 - b. 679 p. 588
Frederick W. & Mary Eliz. Bradley - Sept. 11, 1947 - b. 702 p. 387
Frederic H. & Gusta M. Giddings - Oct. 11, 1951 - b. 756 p. 178
J. Donovan & Rosamond Emery - Mar. 18, 1954 - b. 789 p. 46
Erminia A. & Joseph Vinciguerra - Sept. 27, 1958 - b. 842 p. 188
Concettina S.Vinciguerra & Carmelina A. Hennessy - Nov. 9, 1964 - b. 1025 p. 232
Vinciguerra family; Joseph F., Erminia A., Concettina S., Salvatore J., and Carmelina A. Hennessy - Apr. 26, 1976 - b. 1287 p. 423
Erminia A. & Joseph Vinciguerra - May 8, 1987 - b. 2492 p. 129 - life tenancy
Joseph Vinciguerra estate, Erminia A. heir - Sept. 7, 1999
Erminia A. Vinciguerra estate, Dominic J. Scalise, Extr. - Nov. 30, 2007
Donald C. Hunt - Apr. 18, 2013 - b. 13449 p. 207
Brendon M. Welteroth & Caitlin Perkins - Feb. 14, 2014 - b. 13777 p. 21
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Herbert & Mabel Green House|
|Construction Date||1920 - 1922|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Adden & Parker of Boston|
|Foundation||stone and brick|
|Roof||asphalt - gambrel|
|Map and parcel||52-63|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|