The land for the Temple Emanuel Cemetery straddles the Lawrence - Andover line. Approximately 7 acres in Andover. The entrance to the cemetery is located on Mt. Vernon Street in Lawrence on Cemetery Road.
The land was once part of the Samuel Poor farm in Lawrence, and the 50 acres of eastern section of this farm is a portion the the cemetery today. Samuel Poor lost this section to the courts in 1861 when the James Sargent estate called in a loan given to Samuel Poor. Deputy Sheriff Bailey Bartlett, served papers to Poor on Feb. 20, 1860 on behalf of the Sargent family and the courts.
The property was purchased at auction by W. Fisk Gile for $500. on April 20, 1861. Gile later sold the 50 acres with buildings for $2400 to Hezekiah Plumber, wife Mercy Ann, on May 6, 1863. Plumber held the land for 12 years then selling to Henry Dolbier, wife Elizabeth on Oct. 8, 1875.
The property was then purchased by James B. Smith of Andover on March 28, 1882. James transferred the farm to his wife Elizabeth P. Smith on Nov. 26, 1884. The Smiths owned the property for 38 years then sold to Katherine C. Currier, wife of Joseph C. on June 29, 1920. Currier took a mortgage with the Andover Savings Bank in 1924 but sadly lost the farm during the Depression in 1935. The bank held the property for five years then selling to The Congregation of Temple Emanuel of Lawrence on January 1, 1941.
Approval of the cemetery in Andover took place at Town Meeting on March 10, 1941 article 55. Seven acres of the former "Currier Farm" were allotted for burial purposes. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Dept. of Public Health then approved the land for cemetery purposes.
The main entrance gate way was erected in 1951 in memory of Max M. and Rae Warshaw by family members.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Samuel Poor - 1860
Bailey Bartlet, Dept. Sheriff - Feb. 20, 1860 - Court order
W. Fisk Gile - April 20, 1861 - b. 622 leaf 101
Hezekiah Plumber, wife Mercy Ann - May 6, 1863 - b. 651 leaf 249
Henry Dolbier, wife Elizabeth L. Oct. 8, 1875 - b. 37 p. 106
James B. Smith, wife Elizabeth P. - Mar. 28, 1882 - b. 71 p. 281
George Foster - Nov. 26, 1884 - b. 79 p. 93 - deed transfer
Elizabeth P. Smith - Nov. 26, 1884 - b. 79 p. 93
Katherine C. Currier - June 29, 1920 - b. 427 p. 503
Katherine C. Currier, wife of Joseph C. - Dec. 4, 1924 -b. 508 p. 87 mtg.
Andover Savings Bank - Aug. 19, 1835 - b. 592 p. 467
Andover Savings Bank - Sept. 27, 1935 - b. 593 p. 544
Congregation of Temple Emanuel of Lawrence, MA - Jan. 1, 1941 - b. 643 p. 494
|Place||West Parish - West Andover|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Temple Emanuel Cemetery|
|Original Use||Farm pasture land|
|Map and parcel||68-41|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||April 12, 2016|