Colonial Revival home built in 1905.
Doric columns used on front porch and side west porch.
Earlier home built in the 1850's by Stratton's and later known as the Jameson Farm was struck by lightning and burned in 1893 along with the barn; rebuilt by Jameson, it burned second time in June 1905.
"David Jameson of Andover was born in Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland July 12,1826, came here with his mother and sister Alice, first settled in Lowell, MA. Alice married John Flint, a cousin to the John Flint of Ballardvale. David married Aug. 16. 1850 in Haverhill, MA to Sarah Jane Farnum, b. apr. 7, 1827, daughter of Jeremiah & Sarah (Wardwell) Farnum. Her mother was a daughter of John Wardwell and Sarah Trurrell; Capt. Levi Farnum was an uncle.
Children of David & Sarah Jane Jameson; David Trurrell b. 1851 in Lowell, John Trurrell b. abt.1852 d.Sept. 26, 1852, William Lewis b. Aug. 31, 1853 - Sept. 12, 1853, Charles Albert, George D. & Julia Ann triplets b. Aug. 7, 1854. (Geo. d. Sept. 4, 1854, Juila D. y.) Mary Ellen b.1855 d.y., David Mooar b. Oct. 26,1856, Eddie Francis b. Mar. 30, 1858, and Sarah Ann b. Sept. 1859 [One of these, Eddie, I think, shot the Parker boy by mistake" notes of Charlotte Helen Abbott]
AT July 28, 1905 - The work on the house and barn for Charles Jameson was started on Monday. E.W. Pitman is doing the work.
AT October 27, 1905 - The new home for Charles Jameson nearly completed.
This home may have been re-built by William M. Wood as a gift to Jameson. Wood purchased the farm in 1916 and allowed Jamison to live there the remainder of his life. This house plan is similar to 277 Lowell St. and the former Clover Farm house, other farm properties built by Wood in 1922 and part of Arden Trust.
This farm was sold after the death ow Wm. Wood in 1926. The Pidgeon family purchased from the Phillips Corp. They raised chickens, but only for two years. The farm was then purchased by Dr. Emma Batchelder in 1927 and her nephew Sidney S. Batchelder was hired to manage the farm. It began as a vegetable and fruit farm and in 1930 became a dairy farm with Holstein cows. Emma swapped properties with Sidney in 1930 and Rolling Acres Farm would function as a working farm until August 1951. It was the last dairy farm on Argilla Rd. The 120 acres of farmland on both sides of the road were divided off in 1951 with only a 5 acre house lot with the barn remained. The land was sub- divided again in 1991-92. The large barn was razed in Sept. 22, 1992 and a new home #95 was built on the spot.
The property descends back to the last Great Division of Land in 1660 in Andover. The Rev. Francis Dane, the town's minister held this property on Argilla Road which extended on both sides of the road; Blood Rd to the south and Bateson Drive to the north, east to Baker's Meadow then known as Little Hope Meadow. The Argilla farm was inherited by his second son Francis Dane in 1696. The Dane family heirs held the property until 1837. The remaining homestead farm was sold to William & Sarah W. Foster. Foster sold to Franklin Heald on June 7, 1839. Heald sold to Jonas & Mary Stratton on July 15, 1856. Stratton pulled down the old Dane homestead and rebuilt a modern farmhouse and connecting barn. David & Sarah J. Jameson purchased the farm on Apr. 29, 1867, moving up from #130 Argilla Rd which they owned prior to this. The Jameson family owned from 1867-1916 but lived out their years there until 1924.
See vertical file at AHS for complete history.
Andover Historical Society files
Essex County Registry of Deeds, Salem, MA - ERDS
Essex North Registry of Deeds Lawrence, MA - ENRDL
Andover Vital Records
Andover Maps. 1830, 1852, 1856, 1872, 1888, 1906
See plan map #2456 - Dec. 1951, #3449 Oct. 1956, #12774 Feb. 5, 1996
Rev. Francis Dane, estate died Feb. 17, 1696/7 age 81
Francis Dane Jr., wife Hannah (Poor) Dane - Feb. 1696/7 by will probate - 198 acres
John Dane, wife Sarah (Chandler) Dane - Sept. 6. 1723 - by deed of Francis
Deacon John Dane Jr., wife Elizabeth (Chandler) Dane - Dec. 15, 1749 - by deed of John
Deacon John Dane Jr. estate, Philemon Dane heir - May 25, 1795 - by will
Philemon Dane, wife Priscilla (Phelps) Dane - 1795 - 1799
Philemon Dane, wife widow Sarah [French, Foster] 1800 - 1816
Philemon Dane estate, Benjamin Dane heir to homestead - May 13, 1816 by will
Benjamin Dane, wife Sally (Cochrane) Dane - Dec. 17, 1806 - bk.179 leaf 216
Benjamin Dane, 3rd - Sept. 20, 1827 - b. 250 leaf 48 - rec.11/15/1827
Benjamin Dane, 3rd, estate died Aug. 14, 1837 - intestate, William Foster, Admin.
William Foster, wife Sarah W. - Jan. 16, 1838 - by probate
Franklin Heald, wife Elvira (Winslow) Heald - June 7, 1839 - b. 313 leaf 207
Jonas & Mary Stratton,- July 15, 1856 - b. 535 leaf 116
Henry C. & Esther B. Stratton - Aug. 29, 1862 - b. 642 leaf 9
David & Sarah J. Jameson - Apr. 29, 1867 b. 721 leaf 42
David Jameson estate, hier Sarah J. Jameson - May 12 1890 - probate
Sarah J. Jameson estate - Dec. 9, 1905 -
Charles A. & Emma Jameson - Jan. 11, 1906 - b. 227 p. 560
William M. Wood - Nov. 17, 1916 b. 371 p. 167
Arden Trust - Feb. 9, 1921- b. 447 p. 322
Phillips Corporation - May 26, 1926 - b. 522 p. 20
Alfred & Nora Pidgeon - July 2, 1926 - b. 529 p. 476
Phillips Corporation - Feb. 1927 - b. 529 p. 476
Dr. Emma Batchelder - June 15, 1927 - b. 533 p. 485
Sidney S. & Isabelle Batchelder - Oct. 16, 1930 - b. 555 p. 64
Sidney S. Batchelder estate, heir Isabelle H. - Mar. 30,1948
Richard C. Simmers - Dec. 21, 1951- b. 758 p. 540
William & Natalie Richardson - Jan 24, 1952 - b.759 p. 569
Virgil & Dorothy Marson - July 31, 1953 - b. 778 p. 563
Harry O. Blaisdell - May 15, 1956 - b. 833 p. 200
Louis & Eleanor Curdo - June 24, 1958 - b.875 p. 114
Louis Curdo - Sept. 16, 1970 - b. 1159 p. 103
Doug Ahern - Feb. 2, 1996 - b. 4469 p. 322
Phillip & Christine Harker - Aug. 28, 1996 - b. 4580 p. 245
Michael R. & Lauren L. Soelch - June 14, 2018, rec. 6/22/18 - b. 15524 p.4
|Place||West Parish - West Andover|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||Rolling Acres Farm|
|Original Use||residence farmhouse|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||E.W. Pitman / builder|
|Wall/Trim||wood clapboards coverd (vinyl sided 2006)|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||40' x 60' barn (razed in September 21, 1992)|
|Major Alterations||Open porch on westside enclosed in 1970s Attached garage converted into master bedroom 1970s Inground pool & side porch and rear deck added in 1990s|
|Acreage||31,822 sq. ft.; approx. frontage 105'|
|Map and parcel||91-44|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, updated 1/2014|