129 Lowell Street

Historical Narrative: 

On May 22,1897, Charles A. Hardy & son Frank Hardy purchase ½ acre lot for $150 from George Averill who owned the former Solomon Holt homestead at 111 Reservation Rd. The Holt farm included all the land now occupied by the West Parish Church, the Green and 45 acres of the Cemetery. The Hardy family owned the former Phelps stone house across the street from this lot at 183 Lowell St. Frank’s boyhood home is where he began his brush making business in the barn behind the house. The house was built on the lot just west of the Andover Grange Building. Frank Hardy built the house for himself and his wife Edith.
AT - May 14, 1897 – Richard Williamson has the cellar under way for Frank H. Hardy’s new house in West Andover.

Charles & Frank obtained a mortgage from the Punchard Free School Trustee for $1000 to be paid back in one year at 5½%. interest. On September 20, 1898, Charles Hardy conveys his interest in property over to son Frank Hardy. Frank & Edith lived here for 10 years. The 1900 Tax Evaluation Frank Hardy: House $1200. ½ acre of land $100 = $1300.

In 1905 the West Parish Church was looking to buy property to enlarge their 5 acres cemetery. William Madison Wood, President of the American Woolen Co. purchased 45 acres from George Averill to transform the old burial ground into a Garden Cemetery. The plan included a new main gate entry and open green. Wood had to persuade the Hardy family, the Andover Grange members and the parishioners of West Parish Church to sell their parcels. Frank and Edith Hardy sold their property to William M. Wood on November 3, 1908. The parcel bounded on the North by Lowell St. 7 rods 9’, easterly by land of the Grange 13 rods, southerly by land, late of Averill and westerly to Lowell St.

The “Hardy House” was sold to Grandville K. Cutler, Purchasing Agent for the American Woolen Company, a member of the West Parish Church and the Andover Grange. He was also Chairman of the Cemetery board committee. The Hardy house was moved about ½ mile east to #129 Lowell Street on the north side of the road. The new lot was owned by the Burtt/Cutler family who owned the 16 acre farm at #161 Lowell St. Cutler's wife was Gertrude Burtt who grew up in the homestead at #161 was purchased by her sister Angie and brother Albert Burtt in 1902

The Grange Hall was moved to Shawsheen Rd directly behind the church. The church vestry which was across the street from the church entrance was moved to the right of the church as were the horse sheds that were on the green.

Edith E. & Frank Hardy purchased the Victorian John Morrel home at 202 Shawsheen Rd. which abutted the church property on Oct. 8, 1908 rec. 11/11/1908.
In 1910 Frank Hardy moves his brush manufacturing business into the empty mill buildings of the Smith & Dove Company in Frye Village from his father’s barn at #183 Lowell Street. AT- October 7, 1910 – Frye Village – Work commenced on the brush factory on Haverhill Street on Monday (Oct. 3rd)

“Hardy House” at 129 Lowell St.
On June 25, 1919, Gertrude B. & Grandville K. Cutler sell their house to Albert E. & Rose A. Gilman. An additional triangular lot was later added to the property in 1936.
The Gilmans owned for 25 years then sold April 14,1944 to Ernest W. & Kathleen Ann Halbach. The Halbach sold to Clara & Harold Libby on July 14,1950. Libby held for 10 years then selling to George & Constance Abodeely on June 2, 1960,

The Abodeely family were long term owners of the property for 48 years. They sold on May 2008 to John & Laury Luff.

Bibliography/References: 

References;
Andover Townsman (AT)
Andover Building Survey
Federal Census 1850 – 1940
Andover Town Street Directories
Andover Valuation Reports 1870, 1900, 1910, 1920
Andover Historical Society – Vertical files.
Andover Vital Records
Northern Essex Registry of Deeds, Lawrence, MA
West Parish Cemetery records
Owners:
Owners: - 184 Lowell St. West Parish Green
Joshua & Phebe F. Holt -1780 – July 24, 1810
Solomon & Mary C. Holt, heir,– July 24, 1810 – Apr. 15, 1830 – by will
Solomon & Phebe A. Holt heir,– Apr. 15, 1830 – Apr. 3, 1883 – by will
Edward Francis & Parthinia Holt heir,– Apr. 3, 1883 – 1893 – by will
Andover Savings Bank – Sept. 8, 1885 – b. 83 p. 105 - mtg
Andover Savings Bank – Dec. 24, 1892 – b. 122 p. 539 – Poss.
Andover Savings BK, Frederick S. Boutwell – Apr. 26, 1893 – b. 124 p. 581 mtg. sale
Frederick H. Shattuck, wife Gladys – Jan. 30, 1895 – b. 130 p. 492–
George L. & Elvira L. Averil – Apr. 4, 1895 – b. 139 p. 307
Charles A. Hardy & Frank Hardy - May 22, 1897 – b. 155 p. 82 – lot $150
Charles A. Hardy & Frank Hardy May 22, 1897 – b. 155 p. 83 mtg. $1000 PFS
Frank Hardy, wife Edith – Sept. 20, 1898 - b. 183 p. 506
Frank Hardy mortgage discharged – Sept. 20, 1898 – b. 265 p. 157
William M. Wood - Nov. 3, 1908 – b. 265 p. 157 lot house was on.
See plan #2250

Hardy House moved to 129 Lowell St in 1909
George S. Cole – Deputy Sherriff
Paul Burtt – June 19, 1900 – b. 178 p. 416
Angie M. Burtt
Gertrude B. Cutler - March 7, 1902 - bk. 192 pg. 186
Grandville K. Cutler – Feb. 23, 1909 - bk. 269 pg. 314 Tax auction
Gertrude B. wife of Grandville K. Cutler
Albert E. & Rose A. Gilman - June 25, 1919 - bk. 402 pg. 436
(except triangular piece by Trow property)
Albert E. & Rose A. Gilman - Oct. 2, 1936 - bk. 601 pg. 426 & 427 includes triangle lot
Ernest W. & Kathleen Ann Halbach - April 14, 1944 - bk. 663 pg. 394
Clara & Harold Libby - July 14, 1950 - bk. 738 pg.402 – (plan #2250 May 1950)
George & Constance Abodeely - June 2, 1960 - bk. 916 pg. 44
Abodeely Realty Trust, Constance A. Trustee – July 27, 2001 – b. 6299 p. 76
John & Laura Luff – May 9, 2008 - b. 11174 p. 176
Laura Luff Stamp

Inventory Data:

StreetLowell St
PlaceWest Parish - West Andover
Historic DistrictWest Parish Center NRH District
Historic NameFrank Hardy House
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1897
Sourcedirectories
Architectural StyleQueen Anne
Foundationstone & granite
Wall/Trimwood, shingle
Roofasphalt
Outbuildings / Secondary Structuresgarage
Major Alterationsfront porch removed addition added to east side 1960's
Conditiongood
Moved?Yes
Move Details1908
Acreage1.17 acres
Settingresidential
Map and parcel70-2
Recorded byB.Thibault - James Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Historical Society
Date entered1990, 02/28/2006, 12/2013

Images: 

Map: