Queen Anne Style, asymmetrical facade, saw tooth shingle banding adds visual interest between first and second stories. Jurgen head return clips back the gable apex for additional focal ornamentation.
17 Maple Ave –(formerly #9) This home was first numbered 9 Maple Ave and was renumbered #17 about 1927-28. Recent research reveals this as the Whiting home and not the current #7 - # 9 Maple Ave. 38-186 0.223 -
This property was once owned by John H. Flint and purchased by William Goldsmith in 1874 when the new street Maple Ave was laid out by Flint. Goldsmith purchased three lots on Maple Ave to the corner of Elm St. He developed the lot and had the house built. Goldsmith lived on Elm St. and was the former Principal of Punchard High School and Andover's Postmaster.
This property and house was sold for $3418.75 on Nov. 7, 1889 to John E. Whiting, the local Jeweler and merchant who had his store at 32 Main St. in the Barnard building. John Whiting was a respected citizen and well-liked by his customers. Whiting moved to Andover in 1867 and opened a small jewelry store. Dec. 21, 1883 AA pg. 3 J. E. Whiting – moves to Barnard block – has been in town 16 years.
John Whiting moved into the corner storefront from the Swift Building across the street at #17. This was Whiting’s fifth and last location since establishing his business in 1867. May 31, 1907 pg. 1 - The store occupied by J. E. Whiting will have more room and better light by the transposition of the Barnard Street entrance into a large window, Hardy & Cole do the work.
It was John Whitings' design of a small broach pin for the Town's 250th Anniversary Celebration that would be adopted as the official logo in 1896 and later in 1900 adapted into the town seal that we continue to use today.
John Whiting died in January 14, 1916 at age 67 y 8m 24d. His wife Adaline T. died two days later at age 70y 11m 28d. The Whiting family held a double funeral. Son Frank E. Whiting continued his father's business until his death on June 16, 1918 at the age of 42.
The 51 year old jewelry business was purchased by John E. Blackshaw who sold to A. F. Rivard.
Aug. 4, 1922 AT- "Blackshaw Jewelry Store purchased by Albert F. Rivard of Taunton – John D. Blackshaw purchased from the former J. E. Whiting store run by his son F. E. Whiting four years ago."
Frank's wife Sophia Anderson Whiting then took guardianship for the son Frank Edward Whiting Jr. A Living Trust was later set up with Irving E. Rogers, Alexander H. Rogers and Harold H. Rogers as trustees of the estate.
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover maps 1872, 1882, 1906
Andover Advertiser, Andover Townsman
John H. Flint
William G. Goldsmith - Aug. 22, 1874 - b. 30 p. 118 - lots - land
John E. Whiting - Nov. 7, 1889 - b. 103 p. 554 - land & house - $3418.75
John E. Whiting estate died Jan. 14, 1916
Frank E. Whiting heir – Jan. 1916
Frank E. Whiting estate – died June 16, 1918
Sophia Anderson Whiting, guardian – Aug. 23, 1926 – b. 525 p. 518
Broadway Savings Bank – Mar. 12, 1935 - b. 525 p. 518
Minnie A. Jones & Florence E. Anderson – Mar. 13, 1935 – b. 588 p. 199 (p.317)
Florence E. Anderson estate, July 6, 1941 heir Minnie A. Jones
Sophia H. Whiting, Tr. of Frank E. Whiting estate – Aug. 6, 1948 – b. 714 p. 90
James F. & Joan F. Sullivan – June 17, 1954 – b. 793 p. 225
Arthur K. & Jane L. Parpart – Mar. 30, 1972 – b. 1190 p. 304
Michael A. & Sarah P. Dousa – Mar. 15, 1983 – b. 1652 p. 253
Carol A. Hillson – Hall – Dec. 20, 1985 – b. 2101 p. 293
James G. Hickey & Joen C. McGuire – Dec. 28, 1987 – b. 2652 p. 11
John & Lisa Zaeder – June 15, 2001 – b. 6200 p. 233
John R. & Christine Schena – May 28, 2010 – b. 12052 p. 105
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||John E. Whiting House|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Architect/Builder||William G. Goldsmith|
|Map and parcel||38-136|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||2/28/1980 - 10/8/2019|